Three Of the World’s Deadliest Trees

Trees are a beautiful sight, especially in the springtime. They are essential to life on earth and as well as providing the atmosphere with oxygen, they also provide habitats and food for many animals. If you are lucky enough to have a tree in your garden, as long as you care for it well such as getting it tended to by a professional like this tree surgeon Poole based Kieran Boyland, it should give you many years of pleasure.

However, some trees are incredibly toxic – here are five trees that can be dangerous…

The Manchineel – This tree is found in the Caribbean, South America and in areas of Florida. It is known by many as the tree of death. It doesn’t look particularly sinister, but you should certainly not try to eat one of the greeny yellow fruits, or even touch the tree. All parts of this tree are highly toxic – the sap from the fruits is milky and causes burns and blisters, if you get it into your eyes, it causes blindness, and this sap is found in the leaves and the bark on the tree hence the warnings not to touch any part of the tree at all.

Image Credit

Bunya Pine – These trees are from an ancient family of plants that go back to the days when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, known as the Araucariaceae. These trees are found in parts of South America, New Zealand and Malaysia. The nuts from these trees have been a delicious treat since humans have existed – so although they are not toxic, they certainly are deadly! This is because their cones are large and very heavy – when these huge cones fall from these enormous trees, they can hit a person and kill them easily – so be wary when walking near these ancient giants!

Image Credit

The European Yew – These ancient and mysterious trees are known for their incredibly long lives and are associated with death due to the fact that they are found all over the UK in churchyards and around burial sites. Capable of living for thousands of years, these trees are also incredibly toxic and can cause death if the needles or bark are eaten, or the smoke from the burning wood is inhaled. However, in recent years, this toxin can be used in small amounts as a cure for cancer.

Scroll To Top