If your Wi-Fi connection isn’t up to task, your business won’t be up to task. These days, we live in a world where the strength of your wireless connection determines how well your business competes. It also determines how productive your employees are. If your signal is weak, there could be many reasons why. Your first step is to figure out what the issue is. After that, you want to find a way to strengthen the signal. When it comes down to it, putting the time and energy into making sure your wireless signal is stronger is more than worth it. Here is how to improve your business Wi-Fi network performance.
- Get to the root of the problem. Before you take any other steps to strengthen your Wi-Fi performance, you want to find out what is causing the issue. By diagnosing the issue, you can effectively come up with a solution. First things first, you want to bring your laptop to the room where your modem and router is – if the signal decreases as you walk away, it is an issue with your modem and router not being in the right location.
- Make sure the fix isn’t easier than you think. When it comes down to it, fixing your signal strength may be as easy as simply moving your modem and router to a more centralized location in your office. If you have your modem and router in a room with a server, or a room with thick walls, the signal could be getting bounced away or absorbed, or even confused with all the other signals. The last thing you want to do is invest a bunch of money if fixing the issue is easy.
- Try implementing a wireless repeater. If the issue has to do with the design or set up of your office, you may want to install a wireless repeater. Basically, some offices have a set up that ensures that only a certain number of people in your office receive a strong Internet signal, but a large group does not. If this is the case, you may want to install a wireless repeater that bounces the signal to different sections of your office.
- Get rid of any obstructions. On top of installing a repeater, you also want to get rid of any major obstructions. If you have too much clutter in a certain part of your office, it could actually affect the signal. The signal may not go away completely, but it will be running web pages and other applications at a snail’s pace. Simply clean up your office and get rid of clutter and your signal may be stronger.
- Install an antenna alignment tool. Another option is to install something called an antenna alignment tool. You can find these appliances from a company like Sunsight Instruments. An antenna alignment tool does just that – it lines up the antenna’s signal and makes it stronger for your business’ router. In the end, an alignment tool may be exactly what your business needs to make its signal stronger and its employees more productive.